Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What's the rule for tape-picking?

2003-05-22 13:48:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What's the rule for tape-picking?
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:48:41 -0500
Have you gotten an answer on this yet?

Well from the Media server perspective, when it is handed a job from the
Master, it takes particular notice of a couple of things in order to
make the right media selection.

For Example:
1. Volume Pool
2. Retention
3. Density
4. Media State (full, frozen, suspended, etc.)

If it finds that one of the media in its DB satisfies its requirement
request (and the tape is not in use), then it will mount one of the tape
in its MEDIADB, if not it will make a request  to the volHOST (typically
the master server) for a tape that meets its requirements

For Example:
1.Volume Pool
2.Density
3.Condition (number of mounts, etc.)

It doesn't select the media numerically based on the ID, but numerically
based on the number of mounts.  The one with fewer mounts should be
selected first.  If you check the number of mounts on tape 000191, you
may find that it was less than 000190.

Not knowing your environment it is difficult to comment on why it didn't
select your active media for your backup jobs, but perhaps some of this
may help.

David

PS.  This selection flow is a very simplistic view of a complex process,
more goes into it than I am describing.