Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 3.4 to 4.5 upgrade (with a twist)

2003-05-18 23:26:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 3.4 to 4.5 upgrade (with a twist)
From: Harry.Schaefer AT turner DOT com (Schaefer, Harry)
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 23:26:27 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C31DB6.6E5A139A

What is your setup now? Are you on a unix platform? We are getting ready to do
something similar with our Solaris 8 environment. Currently we have about 130
GB of catalogs that we mount on an external STK disk array, but all we mount
externally is /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images. The rest of /usr/openv is on a
single Solaris mount point with the rest of the OS, mounted as /. I have a
script that runs every morning called bootback. What that does is make a copy
of / (including the boot info) from disk 0 and put it on disk 1. If we have a
disk failure, just swap disks and reboot and we are back up.

When we do our upgrade, that disk 1 will be our fallback to 3.4 if things go
bad. I am also going to copy the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images to another set
of external disks before the upgrade. If the upgrade bombs, we will reboot off
of disk 1, and remount the images from the backup and we are back up with no
downtime for recovery.

Does that make sense? It may not work for your environment, but that is how I
am going to try to cover ourselves... :-)

Harry S.
Atlanta