Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 3.4 to 4.5 upgrade (with a twist)

2003-05-18 23:08:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 3.4 to 4.5 upgrade (with a twist)
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 20:08:37 -0700
Getting ready for an upgrade but need a fallback plan that is outside of
traditional Veritas party lines.

I am rsync'ing the entire /usr/openv directory to a NetApp with the idea
that if things go seriously awry I can simply link it to the nfs path
and keep on truckin.

The problem with this is the packages that will be removed during the
upgrade.  Since they're not upgraded I assume I can just re-install the
packages but where are each found and do all of them begin with VRTS?
This is a Solaris environment since I haven't mentioned that yet...

Has anyone managed an upgrade with an oddball recovery method?  For
those wondering why I want to do it this way rather than just using
Veritas' tried and true method, our catalog data totals well over 1tb
(1.3 to be exact) and I don't want to have to try and recover that from
tape.

Thanks.

~JK