Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] catalog size - largest

2003-05-12 17:22:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] catalog size - largest
From: vaxzilla AT jarai DOT org (Brian Chase)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:22:00 -0700 (PST)
On Mon, 12 May 2003, Donaldson, Mark wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2003, vidit, kohli wrote:

> > Anyone  ruuning netbackup catalog size = 150+ GB ? and How are you
> > backing it up?

The answer would seem to be that you should use high capacity tapes.
I don't compress my catalog on disk, so even though it's quite large, it
still easily fits on an LTO-1 cartridge (100GB native, but quite a lot
more for uncompressed flat files like the NetBackup catalog).

There's also SuperDLT (110GB native), AIT-3 (100GB native), LTO-2 (200GB
native), DTF-2 (200GB native), and supposedly sometime soon-- S-AIT
(500GB native).

> Mostly out of curiousity... What value is there in infinite retention?
> 10 years from now - assuming I'm still employed here, any data is
> hopelessly useless.  What value is there in a 10 or 15 year old file?

That depends on the data in question.  A sizeable percentage of the
data I deal with, digital image files, needs to be kept forever.  It
represents fundamental intellectual property of my employer.  The analog
medium of film is currently better from a longevity standpoint; however,
the fidelity of digital is better.  We'll maintain copies on both.

Still, I don't count on Veritas or NetBackup to outlast the need to
preserve that data.  It'll likely have to be migrated to a new
system, and probably before even a few decades have
passed.

One thing I'm curious about is how NetBackup and other Unix apps
will cope with January 19, 2038.

-brian.