Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What's the rule for tape-picking?

2003-05-12 11:36:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What's the rule for tape-picking?
From: Louis-Luc Le Guerrier <leguerri AT Canr.Hydro.Qc DOT Ca> (Louis-Luc Le Guerrier)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:36:15 -0400 (EDT)
Hello,
I'm using NB 3.4, and I have a volume pool with different
tapes available. Let's give an example:

Tape    Bytes used      Status
000188  5236246         Active
000189  2634674         Active
000190  -               Available
000191  -               Available

All these tapes are in the same volume pool, and likely to
be picked to put the data of the next backup job.
I have 2 drives, so on the next backup session when jobs
start, I want to use 000188 and 000189 in each drive, until
they're full, before picking another tape.

Usually Volume Manager does it right, but last time in this
example, it picked 000189, and 000191, leaving 000188 behind.
Furthermore, I'd expect 000190 to be used before 000191,
because of numerical order.

Does anyone know the tape picking rule? Or is there a way to
change it? Ideally, I'd like to make the ACTIVE tapes picked
first, then the lower-numbered labelled tapes among the
AVAILABLE ones.

Thank you for any help.
Louis-Luc

P.S.: I'll soon upgrade to NB 4.5, so is there any difference?