Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Mixing netbackups - 2 situations

2003-05-07 16:38:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Mixing netbackups - 2 situations
From: jKoonz AT USCO DOT com (Koonz, Jay)
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 16:38:00 -0400
(Situation 1)
Right now we're using "Netbackup exec for NT/2000 agent for Exchange Ver
8.5" on a couple NT exchange servers to backup mailboxes to locally attached
DLT's. The NT guys say this can only be used to restore the mailboxes, not
the exchange database.

We were backing up this NT server using HP-UX Omniback to get the servers's
NT files and the Exchange database.

We want to convert this server to one of our NetbackupBusinessServer 4.5
systems.
Do I have to get the "Netbackup for MS Exchange Server 4.5" agent
(additional cost) or can I just use the standard Netback
 for this server since I'm already backing up the mailboxes locally.

(Situation 2)
We using "Netbackup Professional Ver 3.5" running on a NT server in another
location to backup a bunch of local pc's to a large disk on the NT server.
We have a DLT library on a Linux server that we want to backup that disk to.
I figure it'sd no problem to add the remote Linux system as a client off our
local netbackup Business Server system and add it's library as a device.

But can I setup the remote NT box, whcih is currently a server and client
for Netbackup Profession, as a client for my local Netbackup Business Server
system ?
Is it possible for the remote NT box to be defined on two Netbackup systems
?

Jay Koonz
Sr. Systems Engineer
USCO Logistics