Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Alternate client restores on NDMP !

2003-05-01 09:39:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Alternate client restores on NDMP !
From: Steve Kappel <steve.kappel AT veritas DOT com> (Steve Kappel)
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 08:39:28 -0500 (CDT)
The NDMP data stream format is not determined by NetBackup.  It
is determined by the NAS device performing the backup and is
therefore not necessarily portable to any other NAS (or non-NAS)
device.

NDMP has two major agents, one is the DATA agent and the other
is the MOVER/TAPE agent.  The MOVER/TAPE agent performs the
tape operations and streaming.  The DATA agent performs the
backup or restore.  In 4.5 NetBackup we added the feature
"Remote NDMP" which is only the MOVER/TAPE agent.  It does
not contain a DATA agent.

So you can use NBU 4.5 Remote NDMP on Solaris & Windows to
operate a tape drive.  It is exactly like the tape side of
an NDMP 3-way between two NAS devices.

Because the actual data format varies from NAS vendor to
NAS vendor, NetBackup (and likely any other NDMP backup
application) does not create or restore NDMP data streams.
You cannot restore an NDMP backup to a non-NDMP (DATA agent)
platform using NetBackup.

Some NAS vendors support compatibility between their data
format and external formats.  For example, NetApp uses a
variant of dump; except for the NetApp extensions, Solaris
ufsrestore can restore it.  However, this is strictly a
manual operation outside of NetBackup.  Most other NAS
vendors use tar/cpio/pax/dump or variations.  In short,
you can only depend on vendor X to/from vendor X.

The NDMP specification only defines the control
mechanisms.

I hope this clears up this complicated topic.

>Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Alternate client restores on NDMP !
>From: "Kennedy, Jeffrey" <jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com>
>To: <Steven.Bally AT radisys DOT com>, "Karun Subramanian" <karunanidhis AT
>hotmail DOT com>
>Cc: <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>,
<veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>