Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Firewall Ports - Which ones?

2003-04-30 16:44:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Firewall Ports - Which ones?
From: dlbewley AT libpo.ucdavis DOT edu (Dale Bewley)
Date: 30 Apr 2003 13:44:23 -0700
I'm currently working on packet filters on my Sol9 NBDC 4.5 server and
with the help of http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/251630.htm
It is working, but I still have some issues.

With no filter on the client and this filter on the server...

        block in log body on eri0 all head 100
        block out log body on eri0 all head 150
        pass in quick proto tcp from x.x.x.0/24  to any port = 13724 keep state
group 100
        pass in quick proto tcp from x.x.x.0/24  to any port = 13720 keep state
group 100
        pass out quick proto tcp from any to any port = 13782 keep state group
150
        pass out quick proto tcp from any to any port = 13783 keep state group
150

...I initiated a successful backup from the server jnbsa without
problems, then on the NT client I initated a restore. While it did work
3 times, each time I got a random port 512-1023 on the client trying to
connect to a random port 512-1023 on the server. Can anyone explain what
that traffic is? Shouldn't vnetd eliminate the use of these ports? It's
apparently not "vital" since the restore was successful.

I see that I can change the range of ports using
but are are the SERVER_RESERVED_PORT_WINDOW ports even necessary if
using vnetd?