Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: [BackupScripts-L] restoration time

2003-04-18 10:02:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: [BackupScripts-L] restoration time
From: sdvorak AT veritas DOT com (Steve Dvorak)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:02:41 -0700
Are you using multiplexing (MPX)?  If so what value is it set to?
Multiplexing allows you to have multiple clients backup to a single tape
device, thus driving the device at close to rated speeds, but it is
interleaving data on the tape.  I.e. if you have MPX set to 10, 10 clients
would deliver data to the device and essentially Client1 would have a piece
of data every 10 "blocks".  Therefore when doing a restore it would have to
read Client1 data, skip 9 "blocks", read more Client1 data, skip 9 "blocks",
and so forth.  This *could* be the reason, if you are using a high MPX
number - recommendation for DLT 8000 drives is 2 to 3 MPX.
Other factors that affect restore time are, how quickly the client can write
data to disk, speed of the network pipe, or even some erroneous bug
somewhere.  In general you should be able to restore 12-18GB per hour.
Steve