Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fw: Introduction and apology

2003-04-07 21:19:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fw: Introduction and apology
From: jwood AT apa.qwest DOT net (James Wood)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:19:29 -0600
Howdy!

My name is James, and I have been somewhat thrown into the task of
administering Veritas for Unix ver 3.2 on Solaris.
Due to corporate requirements, I must use Outhouse for my mail. For that I
apologize.

I am a Unix novice with a fair bit of Linux background. I'm managing to
struggle by through extensive use of the man pages and Google. ;-) I have
experience with Veritas, kind of. I had a Veritas Backup Exec for Windows
server at a previous position. So far, that experience has been good for
terminology, and nothing else.

I seek to learn, and gain proficiency, and shall pester you all for anything
I cannot find otherwise. What I will need is not the answers in detail, but
the proper leads to get my tasks done. I will figure out the details, and
learn a bit in the process. (Although I reserve the right to come crawling
back in defeat for further clues.)

My first task is to do a query against the media for a report. I wish to
script this and make it a cron job.
I need to generate and e-mail a report that consists of:
1) Total number of media.
2) Total number of media in the robots (We have 2)
3) Total number of media offsite. (I suspect a query based on pool name,
minus any in the robots. My predecessor was kind enough to include a key in
each pool that I can use. Perhaps make a list of all offsite classes by
class ID that I can save as a file that the query can check against?)
4) Total media stored onsite. (Total minus Robot minus Offsite?)

We have a total of three storage locations:. offsite, onsite, and robot.

My question: What commands are best for this? I thought that bpmedialist
would do it, but not successful yet on that. Will vmquery be better? Or am I
way off track?