Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Minimum system requirements

2003-04-01 14:30:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Minimum system requirements
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:30:05 -0600
Excerpt from the

NBU 4.5 DataCenter
Installation Guide
for Windows

March 2002
30-000479-011

Page 14 & 15 in my copy.
---------------

Installing the server software takes approximately 10 minutes (additional
time may be required to set up the product for your environment). Before
installing, note the following requirements:

Note VERITAS recommends that you remove any other vendor ?s backup software
currently configured on your system before installing this product. Other
vendor?s backup software can negatively effect how NetBackup installs and
functions.

Caution Before installing your NetBackup product, make sure you have the
most current operating system patches and updates applied to your system. If
you are not certain of your OS level, contact your OS vendor and request the
latest patches and upgrades.

An Intel Pentium system running Microsoft Windows NT version 4.0 with
service pack 6A installed, or Windows 2000 with a minimum of 64 MB of memory
and service pack 2 installed.

Requires a browser level of Internet Explorer 5.5 as a minimum.

An administrator account and password for the server.

Adequate disk space:
- Intel server software requires approximately 180 megabytes.
- On-line documentation, if you choose to install it, requires about 60
megabytes.
- NetBackup catalogs contain information about your backups and will
increase in size as you use the product. The amount of disk space the
catalogs require depends primarily on the number of files backed up, the
frequency of your backups, and the amount of time you chose to retain your
backup data. VERITAS suggests that you allow a minimum of 250 megabytes.

Note VERITAS recommends that you have a total of 490 megabytes of storage
space to accommodate the NetBackup server software as well as the NetBackup
catalogs.

- A NetBackup installation partition that supports long file names. VERITAS
suggests an NTFS partition.
- An additional 100MB of memory is necessary on the drive where Windows is
installed during the installation or upgrade process. After the install or
upgrade is complete, this additional space is no longer needed.

Peripherals, such as robotic devices and stand-alone tape drives, installed
according to the manufacturers? instructions and recognized by the Windows
software.

The network is configured so the computers recognize and communicate with
one another. Generally, if you can reach the clients from the server by
using the ping command, the setup will work with NetBackup.
----------------

David A. Chapa
DataStaff, Inc.
312-683-1144