Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.5 Solaris with NDMP

2003-03-27 05:23:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.5 Solaris with NDMP
From: Mark Kilpatrick" <mark.kilpatrick AT ttt DOT ie (Mark Kilpatrick)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:23:04 -0000
I have recently upgraded a netbackup server from 3.4 to 4.5 with an NDMP of
a NetApp filer within the configuration.  We also configured an additional
NetApp filer for NDMP backup after the upgrade.

The original filer continued to backup successfully without any issues.

The additional filer was suffering from failures when two volumes were
backing up to two drives at the same time.  When the second volume backup
began it would cause a failure and veritas would indicate media errors or
disable the drive.  After much troubleshooting it would be fair to say that
Veritas was NOT the cause of the problem.  It was a combination of firmware
on the new library and the model of the SCSI card in the NetApp filer.
Although the SCSI card was a supported model.

Feature Pack 3 for Netbackup has support for DAR (direct access restore) for
NDMP which will be a great benefit for restores.

Regards, Mark

>    4. NBU Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.5 Solaris with NDMP (Moshe Linzer)
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:00:56 +0200
> From: "Moshe Linzer" <Moshe.Linzer AT nsc DOT com>
> To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.5 Solaris with NDMP
>
> Who can relate some experiences with the above?  My service provider has
advised me not to upgrade yet from 3.4, since 4.5 still has too many
> problems.  We are using NDMP to backup some Netapp filers.  Does anyone
have good/bad experiences to report?