Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN Media Server / SSO Failing

2003-03-26 16:48:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN Media Server / SSO Failing
From: Jesse.Gardner AT storaenso DOT com (Gardner, Jesse)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:48:44 -0600
Before today, we've been in a single Netbackup server environment.  The
Master/Media is Netbackup 4.5 MP3 (Win2000).  Environment:  The Netbackup
server is connected via fiber to a SAN switch.  The HP SureStore E LTO
library is connected via fiber to the same switch.

Today I installed SAN Media server on another server in the fiber SAN
network.  After loading the VERITAS driver pack, I was able to see the
library/drives in Windows Device Manager, and was able to configure the new
storage unit on the Master Server.  The Master server lists the new guy as a
media server.

It _appears_ as though the storage units are set up correctly.  I then
created a policy with the new SAN server being the only client, which
specifies the SAN server's storage unit.

When I kick off the job, the log says "connecting" "connected" "end writing"
and then error 42 ("network read failed").  In the problems report, I get
"requestor [SANMediaServer] is not a valid server for query 1" and
"requestor [SANMediaServer] is not a valid server for IMAGE request 81".  In
looking at the logs, it appears as though the SAN Media server doesn't have
permission to create a new image entry in the catalog database.

So, I'm guessing I've just configured the Master <-> Media server
relationship incorrectly.  In Master server host properties, I've added the
SAN server to both the "Media Servers" and "Servers" tab.

I read through the Netbackup 4.5 Admin guide to SSO, but it didn't seem to
help me much.  I have loaded the SSO license on both servers.  Thanks for
any replies.

Jesse Gardner