Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle agent / RMAN with multiple databases and one policy.

2003-03-25 15:20:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle agent / RMAN with multiple databases and one policy.
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:20:23 -0500
--=_alternative 006FBABE85256CF4_=

Wayne.

Your question is a little puzzling

I assume that you are referring to the filnames you see in the activity
monitor and the RMAN log.
Those filenames come from the "format   " command in the RMAN backup
script.
>From my understanding of RMAN when you do a recover you don't need to know
those file
names.  The RMAN recovery script contains the commands to recover a
specific database
(Assuming you do the connect target, connect rcvcat, etc)  Once you do
this RMAN figures
out which files it needs to do the restore.

Have I missed something in what you are trying to do?

Carl Stehman
PHI Services Company
202-331-6619
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Wayne T. Smith" <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
03/25/2003 02:06 PM

mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
        cc:
        Subject:        [Veritas-bu] Oracle agent / RMAN with multiple
databases and one policy.

Our Oracle guy wants to backup several databases on one machine, one
policy.  Backup works fine.  Each backup job has a weird name in the
"files" portion of the activity log entry.  From this name, he can start
a restore.  Unfortunately, this name appears to exist only in the
activity log.  At least RMAN doesn't seem to display it and catalog
displays don't seem to list it.

Does this make sense to anyone and do you know the answer/workaround?

cheers, wayne
--
Wayne T. Smith -- WTS AT Maine DOT edu
University of Maine System -- UNET -- Systems Software Analyst

--=_alternative 006FBABE85256CF4_=

filnames you see in the activity monitor and the RMAN log.</font>
&nbsp; &quot; command in the RMAN backup script.</font>
recover you don't need to know those file</font>
contains the commands to recover a specific database</font>
rcvcat, etc) &nbsp;Once you do this RMAN figures</font>
restore.</font>
trying to do?</font>
face="sans-serif">================================================<br>
Carl Stehman<br>
PHI Services Company<br>
202-331-6619<br>
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com</font>
maine DOT edu&gt;</b></font>
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</font>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Veritas Netbackup mailing list &lt;veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu&gt;</font>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</font>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;[Veritas-bu] Oracle agent / RMAN with multiple databases
and one policy.</font></table>
databases on one machine, one <br>
policy. &nbsp;Backup works fine. &nbsp;Each backup job has a weird name in the
&quot;files&quot; portion of the activity log entry. &nbsp;From this name, he
can start <br>
a restore. &nbsp;Unfortunately, this name appears to exist only in the <br>
activity log. &nbsp;At least RMAN doesn't seem to display it and catalog <br>
displays don't seem to list it.<br>
Does this make sense to anyone and do you know the answer/workaround?<br>
cheers, wayne<br>
-- <br>
Wayne T. Smith -- WTS AT Maine DOT edu<br>
University of Maine System -- UNET -- Systems Software Analyst<br>