Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows 2000 Gigabit Ethernet Poor Performance

2003-03-25 14:13:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows 2000 Gigabit Ethernet Poor Performance
From: mwillard AT soccour DOT com (Michael E. Willard)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:13:19 -0600
I have 2 NBU master servers w/ a STK L20 and single LTO Gen1 drive connected
to each server.  The network has a gigabit backbone and I am getting
horrible performance, in one case a error 41 - network connection timeout.
I have been told that if the cards are setup for auto-negotiate that can
sometimes be a problem.  Also, what about the packet size, I have read that
you can increase the performance of the card by allowing for jumbo
packets???

The client is also running applications and virus scanning software on the
master servers, and I know this is a performance inhibitor.

Also, has anyone setup backups through a firewall with FP3?  I tried it in
4.5 but the 1 port option didn't work.  I heard that functionality is
available in FP3.  Can anyone verify this???

Thanks!
Mike

Mike Willard
Systems Engineer