Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Drive Usage Question with Netbackup Datacenter 4.5

2003-03-24 16:09:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Drive Usage Question with Netbackup Datacenter 4.5
From: eric.singer AT replacements DOT com (Eric Singer)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:09:49 -0500
We're currently performing a nightly backup that is user directed of 8
volumes (it's a backup of some split-off Oracle mirrors).  Our environment
consists of Netbackup 4.5 Data Center and all servers are running Solaris 8.
We have one Master Server and a Media Server that are on a SAN, the Media
Server is performing the User-Directed backups.

Our tape library has two LTO drives and the Maximum Multiplexing Per Drive
is set to 10 and the Maximum Jobs per Client is set to 6

When we kick off the backups they start off like this:

Volume 1 backup goes to tape drive 1
Volume 2 backup goes to tape drive 1
Volume 3 backup goes to tape drive 1
Volume 4 backup goes to tape drive 1
Volume 5 backup goes to tape drive 1
Volume 6 backup goes to tape drive 2
Volume 7 backup is queued
Volume 8 backup is queued

What I don't understand is why drive 2 is brought in, since the Maximum
Multiplexing Per Drive is set to 10, I'd expect volume 6 to be backed up on
drive 1.  At the time of the user direct backups, there are no other queue
jobs.

Thanks for your help,

Eric Singer
Replacments, LTD