Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Average backup time

2003-03-24 16:08:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Average backup time
From: WTSmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T. Smith)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:08:18 -0500
O'Shea, Don wrote:
> I was just wondering how long backup times are taking for everybody. It
> is currently taking us about 10 hours to back up 50GB of data which
> seems to be a very long time. The servers are dual PII 450 processors
> with over 2GB of memory running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Nics are
> locked down at 100/full and I have increased the size and number of data
> buffers so I am just curious as to if this is normal.

I just backed up 15G in about 1 hour (about 100,000 files and 1 stream).

On the other hand, I've a UNIX mail server with many million small files
and 50G that requires over 10 hours with 15 streams (about 22 hours with
1 stream).  The UNIX slow backup has nothing to do with connectivity,
but everything to do with NBU/DC and the large (ext3) file system.  I
have no idea *why* the large file system sluggishness, but it's there
for both full and incremental backups.

cheers, wayne
--
Wayne T. Smith -- WTS AT Maine DOT edu
University of Maine System -- UNET -- Systems Software Analyst