Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 windows admin console

2003-03-21 08:22:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 windows admin console
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:22:31 -0500
--=_alternative 0049792185256CF0_=

I have run into this issue.  I found several things that can cause this.
It is a catch all
message saying that the master server does not know nor can validate who
you
are.  In our environment we our master and media servers are all Win2k
with both
Windows and Unix clients.

1.  The host name and IP Address of your computer must match the IP
address obtained by
     a DNS query   of your host name ( I think it does a reverse look up
of the IP address of your host name,
     and if there is a match and you are in the server list,  you are OK).
 If not you get this
     message.

2. In my case I made sure that my workstation  had a DNS entry that
returned the IP address
    of my workstation which has a static  IP address.  I believe your
workstation must have a static
    IP address.

2.  We were playing around with advanced  authentication methods, related
to the files under
   " \netbackup\var\auth"  directory.  We ended up resetting them to the
way they are released
    from the factory.

With all these gotcha's I have not tried to use this from home.  Instead I
conect via VPN and
PCAnywhere to a machine we have the DBconsole insalled and run NBConsole
from
that machine.  I you have UNIX master and media servers, you may need to
use an
X windows app to connect to the master server, but this is only a guess.

I hope this helps.

Carl Stehman
PHI Services Company
202-331-6619
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Dan Chrastil" <dchrastil AT bcbsga DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
03/21/2003 06:24 AM