Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How do I duplicate tapes

2003-03-14 10:30:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How do I duplicate tapes
From: vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com (vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:30:47 -0600
Hi all
Off late I have been noticing some 83 errors (media open errors) when
Netbackup tries to backup a few Client's in a Policy. I also noticed that
for almost all these Clients, Netbackup has tried mounting the same media
for the backup job and the backup job fails giving the media open error
(83).

My questions are, how many attempts does netbackup make before it freezes a
media so that it would no longer be used.Is there any setting that could be
done that helps freezing the media after 2 or 3 falied attempts when ever a
media error (83) occurs at which point of time Netbackup makes use of a
different media from the Netbackup or Scratch Pool that I have set up.It
sounds  so dumb that netbackup tries to use the same media for backing up
even other clients though knowing that the first Client backup job failed
because of the 83 error.

Does an 83 error mean that this media can no longer be used either for
backups or for restores? I am thinking of taking a copy of this media
(duplicating this media) onto a new one and getting rid of this media that
Netbackup has problems opening. How good would a copy of a media giving the
83 error be, if its possible to duplicate this media? If a copy of this
media needs to be taken what are the steps I need to carry to perform this
duplication and let netbackup be aware that this new duplicated media needs
to be treated by Netbackup as a replacement for the old one?

 I searched the Media Manager Admin Guide for Netbackup 4.5 but could'nt
find any information in it to perform this sort of Duplication.Am i looking
at the wrong Guide?Any pointers to the right guide would help.

Best Regards
     Vallish  S .Anantha
     Cap Gemini Ernst & Young
     Infrastructure Team
     Dallas Accelerated Delivery Center
     Direct : 214-303-7510  Cell :469-877-4557
     Pager :800-431-5081
     CGEYComm: 3682626
     vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential
and is the property of the Cap Gemini/Ernst & Young Group.  It is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy,
disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you
receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete all copies of this message