Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 with IBM 3494 tape library

2003-03-13 08:33:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 with IBM 3494 tape library
From: Haichao.Niu AT motorola DOT com (Niu Haichao-ftjn737)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:33:31 +0800
Hi,
I'm installing Netbackup4.5 on Solaris 2.6 system which attached with a IBM
3494 tape library, there are 10 IBM 3590E1A drives in the library.
the problem is the Device Configuration Wizard could found all the 10 drives
but only 4 drives are "configured", the other 6 drives are "Unusable", it shows
all the 10 drives have "no configuration device file exists" in the limitations
button.

Here is the output of tpconfig -l ( I just add one tape drive to the robot)

Device Robot Drive       Robot                    Drive         Device
Second
Type     Num Index  Type DrNum Status  Comment    Name          Path
Device Path
robot      0    -    TLH    -       -  -          -             TDC3494
  drive    -    0  hcart    -      UP  -          RMT6          /dev/sg/c6t0l0
IBM Device Name = /dev/rmt/6st
drive      -    1  hcart    -      UP  -          IBM03590E1A1  /dev/sg/c6t1l0
drive      -    2  hcart    -      UP  -          IBM03590E1A2  /dev/sg/c7t2l0
drive      -    3  hcart    -      UP  -          IBM03590E1A3  /dev/sg/c5t3l0

the question is should I use /dev/rmt/6st or /dev/rmt/6stn in the "IBM Device
Name" field?
I also tried to use /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tlhtest -r TDC3494 -d /dev/sg/c6t0l0
/dev/rmt/6st but it's hung at "Opening TDC3494".

By the way, all these 10 drives are working fine in TSM system at the same time.

Could you please give me any direction here since I'm a newer to Netbackup.

Thanks very much
Niu