Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recycling media with the same media id

2003-03-12 15:06:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recycling media with the same media id
From: vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com (vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:06:20 -0600
Hi all,
Looks like I got the issue resolved.

Here's what I did.I first used the  "bpexpdate -d 0  -m  mediaid   -host
<name> "to change the expiry dates on the required volumes. I then ran the
"vmquery -h  deassignbyid  mediaid   pool_number  0x0" for all media I
wanted to deassign and recycle with the same media id.
I then went to the Media and Device Management tab selected the required
media and deleted them from my volume manager database. I then reran the
Inventory Robot -> Perform volume configuration update. This put back all
the media that i wanted to recycle in the Scratch pool and I am now all set
to use these media with the same media id all over again.

Is there something more that needs to be done or have i done what i
intended to happen.???

Thanks

     Vallish  S .Anantha
     Cap Gemini Ernst & Young
     Infrastructure Team
     Dallas Accelerated Delivery Center
     Direct : 214-303-7510  Cell :469-877-4557
     Pager :800-431-5081
     CGEYComm: 3682626
     vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com

                      vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com

                      Sent by:                             To:      veritas-bu
AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                      veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng         cc:

                      .auburn.edu                          Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Recycling media with the same media id

                      03/12/2003 10:28 AM

Hi all,
I ran vmadm to  print information about volumes that I could deassign based
on their last mounted time.I dont need to retain data on any media that
was written during 2000 and early part of the year 2001. Hence i came out
with a list of such media from the vmadm -> Print information  about
Volumes.Next I tried to deassign such media that i found by issuing a  "
bpexpdate -d 0  -m  mediaid ".A couple of media that i tried to deassign
with this command came back  saying that the requested media id was not
found in NetBackup media database and /or Media Manager volume database.
My intention  is to recycle these media with the same media id that they
had earlier, but how do i recycle them without first  deleting them from
the volume manager database .Any help received would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

     Vallish  S .Anantha
     Cap Gemini Ernst & Young
     Infrastructure Team
     Dallas Accelerated Delivery Center
     Direct : 214-303-7510  Cell :469-877-4557
     Pager :800-431-5081
     CGEYComm: 3682626
     vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential
and is the property of the Cap Gemini/Ernst & Young Group.  It is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy,
disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you
receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete all copies of this message