Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 spanning disks for backups

2003-03-12 13:29:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 spanning disks for backups
From: whitaker AT gsu DOT edu (whitaker AT gsu DOT edu)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:29:55 -0500
I am currently working on upgrading our Netbackup site from 3.4 on
DLT drives to 4.5 using disks and then offloading to LTOs. The server
is a Solaris 8 box and the clients are a mixture of Novell, NT, 2000,
and various unix flavors.  After reading through the documentation
twice and looking through the veritas-bu archives, I am still at a
loss as to how to get a thread to span a disks.  What am I missing?

In my test environment I have 4 20gb slices mounted as separate disks
and then created a Storage Unit Group for the four disks. I created a
policy which then backs up to the Storage Unit Group. I have
multiplexing turned on to 4 threads per client and am currently
backing up 3 test clients.

My problem: a thread starts on a disk and the disk fills up, thus
killing the thread and causing an incomplete backup.  How do I get
the thread to either requeue or move to a different disk within the
Storage Unit Group without loosing the data?  When this goes in to
production we hope to have 20TB of disk for a couple nights worth of
backups on disk that we can then offload to tape during the day, but
this isn't going to work if I can't get Netbackup's threads to span
drives.

Thank you for your help.
Chris
(I also have to say I miss xnb. jnbSA is so slow :) )

--
Christina Whitaker      Georgia State University
Unix Group              Systems Software Engineer