Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] .SeCuRiTy.n files in / on Solaris

2003-03-05 10:09:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] .SeCuRiTy.n files in / on Solaris
From: gjohnson AT ADMWORLD DOT com (Johnson, Tony -Research)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:09:59 -0600
In terms of historical usage of directories /var is the place for logging
information, pids , spooler information, email and mail queue's, and
/var/tmp for temporary files.  Why not just statically use /var/tmp?  /var
seems to be the place for these things if they are not sizable.  I am not ta
big advocate of large / directories.

I have to disagree with you about the home directroy issue.  On Solaris / is
root's home directory.  You have to go out of your way to change that.  When
I manage Sun boxes, I never log into my systems as root.  I log in as myself
and use su only when I need to.  The only reason to log in as root is
because you have some catastrophic problem.  If you are a good
administrator, then you should not be having these anyway.  There seems to
me , in my mind , that there's no point in changing root's home dir.

My .02 also

Peace,
Tony