Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] .SeCuRiTy.n files in / on Solaris

2003-03-03 10:51:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] .SeCuRiTy.n files in / on Solaris
From: cord.beermann AT telefonica DOT de (Cord Beermann)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 16:51:03 +0100
Hallo! Steven L. Sesar hat geschrieben:

[snip]

> I am pretty P.O'd about this, as I spent the last hour or so tracking
> this down. I was minutes away from turning my disks over to Infosec.

It's nice to know when you are not the only who tries to figure out
how that /&§&%§"%& cracker hacked into the Backupserver. BTDT.
including hyperventilating.

> Can someone please tell me why the engineers at Veritas decided it was a
> great idea to write files that look suspiciously "warez-y" to /,
> nonetheless, and leave this little detail undocumented (at least, I
> can't find any reference to this)?

It is somewhere in the archive of this mailinglist.

> In the event that any of you see this on your machines, what created
> them was a test restore of some NT files onto my master server. We were
> having a problem with a restore, so I decided to test the sanity of the
> image itself by restoring locally to my master server, which obviously
> worked.

the .SeCuRiTy-Files contain some additional information of the
access-rights.

> IMHO, this is shoddy and careless SW engineering, made even worse by
> lack of documentation this behavior.

Yup. there are some more 'nice' features of this kind in it.

Cord
--
BOFH excuse #378:

Operators killed by year 2000 bug bite.