Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU vs Omniback

2003-02-20 06:40:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU vs Omniback
From: joe AT joe DOT net (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:40:06 +0100
--=====================_13009186==_.ALT

I don't know anything about Omniback, but we invested in NBU some years ago
and I did the evaluation (including the cost side)
If your installation is small NBU comes at a high cost, but compared to
other backup software in the same "class" it's almost the same.
I also looked at TSM and a little on CA's product. The difference in prices
was minor.
I remember one thing at that time with TSM (I know it has changed) that the
licenses for a library was based on when IBM's libraries changed sizes so
because we used a STK library we had to get a very big ($$$) licens on the
library because the STK had a few slots more then the IBM library.
Clients/agents cost almost the same (at least for the ones we needed)

If management start to talk about cost remember to take all things into
account.
If you already have the NBU licenses you need and have maintenance the only
cost you would save is the maintenance, but you would have to pay for a new
Omniback licens plus maintenance. And the migration would also cost you
money (remember to include education)
You also have to plan for how to restore old data. Som installations need
to be able to restore more then 5-10 years old data, so you would have to
do something about that.
What would errors cost you?

How big is you installation? What platforms are you using? What databases
and mailsystem and so on?
What storage hardware do you have today.

Remember that a migration done just because you want to migrate is money
out of the window.
What does the business get from it.

At 14:36 19-02-2003 -0600, Perales, Carlos wrote:

>My company is thinking on moving from NetBackup to Omniback.
>

>I have used Netbackup since I just started with backup softwares and I'm
>happy with it, however my company complains about the high cost of the
>platform and how much we'll reduce the cost if we move to Omniback which
>seems to be way cheaper.
>

>Any suggestions ?
>
>Will you care sending me notes or thoughts about why I shouldn't change
>the SW ?
>
>I really like the NBU platform, however it seems like Omniback is a good
>choice (although I don't know anything of the bad things about Omniback)
>

>Carlos

--=====================_13009186==_.ALT

I don't know anything about Omniback, but we invested in NBU some years
ago and I did the evaluation (including the cost side)<br>
If your installation is small NBU comes at a high cost, but compared to
other backup software in the same &quot;class&quot; it's almost the
same.<br>
I also looked at TSM and a little on CA's product. The difference in
prices was minor.<br>
I remember one thing at that time with TSM (I know it has changed) that
the licenses for a library was based on when IBM's libraries changed
sizes so because we used a STK library we had to get a very big ($$$)
licens on the library because the STK had a few slots more then the IBM
library.<br>
Clients/agents cost almost the same (at least for the ones we
needed)<br><br>
If management start to talk about cost remember to take all things into
account.<br>
If you already have the NBU licenses you need and have maintenance the
only cost you would save is the maintenance, but you would have to pay
for a new Omniback licens plus maintenance. And the migration would also
cost you money (remember to include education)<br>
You also have to plan for how to restore old data. Som installations need
to be able to restore more then 5-10 years old data, so you would have to
do something about that.<br>
What would errors cost you?<br><br>
How big is you installation? What platforms are you using? What databases
and mailsystem and so on?<br>
What storage hardware do you have today.<br><br>
Remember that a migration done just because you want to migrate is money
out of the window.<br>
What does the business get from it.<br><br>
At 14:36 19-02-2003 -0600, Perales, Carlos wrote:<br><br>
company is thinking on moving from NetBackup to Omniback.<br>
backup softwares and I'm happy with it, however my company complains
about the high cost of the platform and how much we'll reduce the cost if
we move to Omniback which seems to be way cheaper.<br>
about why I shouldn't change the SW ?<br>
seems like Omniback is a good choice (although I don't know anything of
the bad things about Omniback)<br>