Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog backup question (NetBackup Datacenter 3.4 UNIX)

2003-02-19 17:48:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog backup question (NetBackup Datacenter 3.4 UNIX)
From: liddles AT amgen DOT com (Liddle, Stuart)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:48:13 -0800
I need a way to find out how much data is actually being written to our
catalog tape.  I used the following:

bpbackupdb -v

and looked at the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin/log.<date> file

It did not have the total number of bytes written to the tape anywhere in
the output.  I'd like to know how close I'm getting to filling my catalog
tape.

Is there an easy way to determine this information, or do I have to just
guess that since the data in the

/usr/openv/netbackup/db

directory is mostly text that it will get at least a 2:1 compression
(probably closer to 4:1) and use that as a guide for how much will fit on my
DLT7000 tapes?  Since the hardware compression will get about 70GB of
compressed data on a tape, what's the realistic amount to expect that will
fit on the tape?  Would I have to worry if my db directory is about 50GB?
100GB?

thanks,

--stuart
Stuart W. Liddle