Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Requies IE5?

2003-02-13 10:09:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Requies IE5?
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:09:52 -0600
--=_alternative 0053454186256CCC_=

install 3.4 client instead of 3.4.1 or 4.5 ???

He's talking about IE5 the browser, not IIS web server.  It's NOT serving
up any web pages.

To certify for the Windows approved logo (or whatever it's called...)
VERITAS has to use Windows Installer to install the software.  Windows
Installer requires IE.  If Windows Installer isn't already on your box,
the NetBackup install will first install Windows Installer and prompt you
to reboot.  When you log back in after the reboot, then the actual
NetBackup install will start.

Older versions, 3.4 and earlier, used InstallShield.  The requirements for
this are different.  I'm not sure if this still requires IE or not, and if
so, what version.

This usually isn't a problem because chances are you've already installed
something else that requires Windows Installer (and therefore IE)... for
example, Diskeeper.  In most good NT shops they don't necessarily like
having a browser on a server when it's not necessary... but what can you
do when MS forces you to.  Usually it just gets installed, but best
practice is it never actually is used from the server for browsing.

- Scott

"Steven L. Sesar" <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
02/12/2003 08:08 PM