Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Retention Periods and Industry practices.

2003-02-12 21:42:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Retention Periods and Industry practices.
From: jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com (Jon Bousselot)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:42:22 -0800
We have traditionally done weekly full's for a 3 month retention, and
one of the fulls in the month is marked for permanent archive.
With NB4.5, the calendar scheduler allows me to schedule the first
Saturday of the month to be the permanent archive.
Instead of duplicating the fulls, we have enough space to run another
full on Sunday, which is always a 3 month retention.
The Monday- Friday backups are incrementals, with a 3 week retention.

With over 60 clients, and most of them running an oracle database, this
is about 6TB written per week, 12 - 14 LTO-1 tapes going offsite each week.

Part of our business may require retentions of  7 years for all data and
lab notebooks, including databases either to prove intellectual
property, or to obtain FDA approval on a product.  Considering how tape
technology evolves, this can become a very large task with tremendous
legacy support, and the cost of tapes won't be a problem.

We have also been discussing the impact of archiving e-mail from MS
Exchange, and Voicemail from our unified messaging server.  This can be
useful provide a history of communications, or can be the downfall for
someone if they are incriminated by their correspondence.  So far, we
don't hold email or voicemail for longer than 3 weeks, and mostly for DR
purposes.

-Jon