Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] update_clients question

2003-02-12 17:48:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] update_clients question
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:48:13 -0600
At 12:18 PM +0100 2/12/03, Dariusz Klar wrote:
>Hi Gurus,
>
>According InfoDOC (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242382.htm)
>update_clients script update clients and MEDIA SERVERS binaries.
>So, I've run update_clients script on the master for all my clients
>and media servers with success. After that I've checked content
>of the "pack.summary" file on all media servers and noticed that
>there is no information about the latest patches (MP3) inside.
>Maybe I've  missed something ? What is the correct way to install
>patches on MEDIA SERVERS ? Do it via "update_clients" script or
>copy patches to media servers and run Vrts_install.pack ?

the answer is, you do both.  :-)

here's my rendition of the information that's a little bit unclear in
the technote you reference above:

"server" patches
================
- e.g. NB_45_3_M.solaris_XXXXXXX.tar
- contains the nbu binaries that a SERVER requires (daemons, goodies, etc)
- must be installed (via Vrts_install.pack) on master and each media
- installation of this patch is reported in the "pack.summary" file

"client" patches
================
- e.g. NB_CLT_45_3_M_YYYYYYY.tar
- contains the nbu client binaries for EVERY supported Unix platform
- extracts the nbu client binaries into the master server's "depot" location
- must be installed (via Vrts_install.pack) on master server
- installation of this patch is reported in the "pack.summary" file

client binaries
===============
- e.g. /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris/Solaris8 on master server
- includes the nbu binaries that a CLIENT requires (bpbkar, bpmount, etc)
- installation of this patch IS NOT reported in the "pack.summary" file
- can be installed via local cdrom on the client system...
but most people install via the "update_clients" script on the
master, which reads the files from the master server's
/usr/openv/netbackup/client directory and copies them over to the
client system.

HTH
rob