Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Datacenter upgrade from 3.4 --> 4.5

2003-02-10 10:26:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Datacenter upgrade from 3.4 --> 4.5
From: orders AT siraim DOT com (Sam Grover)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:26:56 -0600
--____UVHCFYOWVJPQTNAZRLBI____

There are the 4.5 MP3 patches for netbackup that you need to bother with.. =
and make sure to note there are server and client patches, they're not =
unified.

Almost make sure to check the readme for the upgrade to determine required =
patch levels for the HP systems.. there are a number of HP patches for C++ =
that must be installed.

Other than that. your upgrade sounds similar to my upgrade from last =
weekend. Oh yeah.. when the auto-discovery starts to find your drives.. =
choose abort.. I've seen nasty things happen when the 4.5 upgrade =
autodiscovery tries to find things that were already there.. just say =
abort. :)

Sam

>>> Dan Chrastil<dchrastil AT bcbsga DOT com> 02/10/03 08:48AM >>>
Am planning to do a Datacenter upgrade from 3.4 to 4.5 next week.  Was =
curious if anyone has had any
gotcha's they may have come across.

I have a all HP environment with one master server and 7 media servers.  =
Two of the media servers
have oracle installed and do RMAN hotbackups.  There are about 20 clients =
of which 3 or 4 also do
Oracle RMAN hotbackup.  From my understanding I can leave the clients at =
3.4 for now and upgrade
them as time and downtime come available.  Also have a STK 9310 powderhorn =
tape library running
ACSLS with two standalone drives connected to the two media servers =
running oracle hotbackups and 10
drives configured in a mulithosted environment shared by the other 5 media =
servers.

I believe I need to do the following at a minimum.  Anyone who has gone =
through this please correct
me if I am wrong.

1.  Take Datacenter down and backup to DAT the /usr/openv filesystem for =
backout purposes.
2.  Mount 4.5 cd and do upgrade on master server.
3.  Do upgrade on each media server.
4.  Do upgrade of oracle database agent on the two media servers running =
Oracle hotbackups.
5.  Noticed a java patch and oracle database agent patch out on the =
veritas web site.  Are there any
other patches I should know about.

Thank you for your time.