Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup

2003-01-27 15:36:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup
From: mattm AT m-c-s DOT com (Matt Moody)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:36:45 -0600
In my previous life as a SysAdmin, I was seeing 7MB/s during vaulting of MPX
tapes (4-way MPX) using DLT7k's.  Using STK 9840a's I was seeing 15MB/s with
20-30MB/s peaks during the replication of the 2GB tape fragments (watching
bptm log).  In both of these scenario's, I was demultiplexing the backups.
In the case of the 9840 drives, I was actually replicating the tapes faster
than I was able to back them up. (AIX RS6k 4-way, 4GB memory, direct
attached DLT's with fibre-switched 9840a's).

All backups that were slow (network), were required to utilize MPX.
Demultiplexing for replication was required to ensure quick recovery in case
of DR utilizing off-site media.  I found sending MPX replications off-site
to not be in the best interest of the company I worked for at the time since
a full restore from MPX tapes require 10x the timeframe (per stream) of
non-MPX backup images (per NBU doc).  Using a 4-1 MPX would take 40x longer
to perform a restore from off-site tapes.  Not acceptable.....

For reference, if you utilize 4 tape drives for backups and those backups
require 8 hours to complete, replication of those images will require at a
minimum 16 hours to complete assuming the replication speed is at least as
fast as the backups.  Throw in MPX backups and the timeframe can conceivably
be extended. To fix this issue, you can throw more tape drives into the mix
and NOT run MPX backups or, of course, fix the speed issues.  If you have
not "tuned" the environment, I suggest you jump onto the Veritas website and
download the tuning guide to tune your buffer settings, etc.

Good luck.  These are never fun issues to resolve...

Matthew Moody