Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Questions on Staging to Disk and MS Exchange Agent

2003-01-27 01:02:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Questions on Staging to Disk and MS Exchange Agent
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:02:40 -0800
I can only comment on the first question.  I setup a Sun E250 as a
master with a Nexsan ATABoy II array scsi connected to it.  All non-ndmp
clients were backed up over gigE to the Nexsan disk storage array and
then vaulted from there.
2 vault copies were made; 1 to SDLT that was ejected and sent offsite as
DR, a second copy done to DLT IV media that stayed in the library for 6
weeks.
Performance was very good as it was local disk to local tape.  The only
issue was image expiration on disk if something in the Vault process got
munged.  If for any reason a vault image (there were only 2) didn't
finish correctly, and that was frequently, the images on disk had to be
manually expired since there wasn't enough room for multiple level 0's
on the array.

The benefits are several.

1) very easy on tape drives. Since it is almost always at full stream
there is very little of the shoe shine effect.  Makes for fewer drive
replacements.
2) very fast restores within a week.  The first mail restore I did I
thought failed because it was over before I even saw it.  It's just
going from disk to disk on gigE is very quick.
3) multiple copies with best available performance.  Vault copying from
tape to tape is painfully slow, at least from my experiments.  This gave
me 2 copies with full drive speed.

Hope this helps.

~JK

Agent

> We are implementing Netbackup 4.5 and was wondering if any people are
> staging backups to a disk pool such as some of new ATA disk systems
from
> NetApps, NexSAN, and StorageTek and then migrating to tape after using
> Vault or some other process.  If you are using such a device, can you
> describe your environment, what performance you are getting, what the
> benefits you are seeing, how it works with NB, etc.
>
> Secondly, we are moving to MS Exchange and I am wondering how many
> people are using the NB Exchange agent for database backups of
Exchange.