Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup

2003-01-24 17:35:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup
From: Mike Boger" <boger_mike AT ti DOT com (Mike Boger)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:35:02 -0700
Hi Deb,

We use NBU here in Tucson - The majority of our data transfers are done via
NDMP... The one big drawback that I've seen is the lack of DAR (Direct
Access Recovery) in NBU. Recoveries are PAINFUL without it. (It's supposed
to be coming out this month). Veritas is the last major vendor to offer this
feature.

As for support, I'd say that it's pretty typical for the industry (I have
found that you should place a ticket at a "High" level, or you risk an
Australian tech calling your number at 2 AM...). You should expect the first
line support person to read their database before referring your case to
second-line. Again, pretty typical, and not the worst that I've encountered.

Documentation for NBU, in my humble opinion, is limited at best. Most of the
"tricks" I've learned about NBU is from calling tech support or reading this
list (thanks folks!) RTFM questions on this list are mostly due to poor
organization of the docs, and unless you're willing to spend hours finding
the particular .PDF the answer resides, it's easier to ask here. The folks
here, I've found to be professional and quite knowledgeable....

All-in-all: I miss BudTool, but I've gotten used to NetBackup.

Best Regards,
Mike