Veritas-bu

FW: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup

2003-01-24 16:34:40
Subject: FW: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup
From: vbperry AT hotmail DOT com (Perry Brown)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:34:40 +0000

>I want to thank everyone for their responsses so far - keep 'em coming
>though.
>
>First of all let me respond to Jeff's inquiry, "Is there something in
>particular that's got you irritated enough to migrate an entire enterprise
>to a different software?"
>
>A lot of things.  Here's a list of just a few (from the Sun side of
>things):
>
>1. With over 200 clients, updating them from one release to the next
>requires
>    going to each client (via login of some kind) and doing an interactive
>    pkgadd.  I'm told that NBU allows client updates to be "pushed out."
>This
>    would save a lot of time, and be version reliable.

True to some degree, my company disabled rsh everywhere so we can't take
advantage of this so if you are not running rsh you may end up with the same
issues. I am looking to using a package deployment to the UNIX systems.
Windows hosts can be upgraded via an install from one host (during the
install it asks if you want to install to the local host or remote hosts) I
have not used the option much so can speak about it.

>2. Version control is an issue with LGTO - if you get a patch for
>something,
>    there is not centrally located way to track which box has what patch,
>and
>    it is usually not in pkg format.  LGTO just doesn't track version
>changes,
>    such as date and time and version.

When you say version control do you mean just finding out what version a
client or server is running? I have found it to be misleading sometimes in
Netbackup. You launch bpadm and it says 4.5GA right after you just installed
the latest patch. You can read the version file from each server client to
know what version they are running.

>As for NDMP - that is something I am interested in - however, if NBU has
>lousy support for that, we'd most likely use LGTO.
>
>I'd be interested in what the NBU issues are with NDMP.  I didn't know that
>there ARE issues in this area!!

We are running NDMP on a few Netapp devices and have not had major issues.
We are doing volume backups and qtree backups. So I'd be curious what the
issues are. Granted when doing vaults you can't use the same drives
connected to the Netapp devices but other then needing to over buy on
drives.....Is the NDMP issues when you are dealing with a large # of NDMP
clients?

>Comments, Suggestion, Jokes ??  :-)

A string walks into a bar.....

Perry