Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple Clients Per Directory

2003-01-21 14:00:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple Clients Per Directory
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:00:14 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C17F.54C9E4C0

The suggestions for using the NEW_STREAM directive is correct if you want to
backup multiple streams.  However, make sure you manage the open file
problem for oracle if you do hot backups.

The files associated with a tablespace need to be quiesced prior to backup
using the Oracle hot backup process (Alter tablespace <TB_Name> begin
backup) and released afterward (Alter tablespace <TB_Name> end backup) or
your on-tape backup is basically junk.

This is usually done with pre-schedule & post-schedule jobs run by Netbackup
on the client (see bpstart_notify & bpend_notify in the manuals).  Be aware,
each stream will run the pre- & post-schedule scripts so you might have to
write coordinating code to manage the multi-stream backup.

HTH - Mark