Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple Clients Per Directory

2003-01-21 13:37:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple Clients Per Directory
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:37:56 -0800
If I understand you correctly, you found that opening multiple streams
(jobs) to the filesystem was much faster than doing it as one stream.  You
want to make it simpler.  Here are some solutions:

- you can use the NEW_STREAM directive in the NetBackup policy to break
things up.  So you would put

        NEW_STREAM
        /Ora/db01
        NEW_STREAM
        /Ora/db02

        etc.  Make sure you have "allow multiple streams" turned on for that
policy

- you can also set ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as the filelist.  This will open one
stream per filesystem.  If you want to break things up (e.g., one policy for
system files and root and one for Oracle), then you can create two policies,
both set to ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, and create a separate exclude list for each
policy.

- You might also think about using user-directed backups.  On the client
side you would write a script to create the list of files to be backed up,
balance them by size, then put them in files as list of files and invoke
bpbackup on each list.

Good luck,

--
 Drew Fabbro [fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com]
 Unix Systems Group