Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] dar

2003-01-14 13:02:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] dar
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:02:08 -0800
Direct Access Restore.  For NDMP under Veritas all restores are a full
seek along the tape set until the file is found.  So if file 987 on tape
3 of a 5 tape set is what you need, you will scan tape 1 and 2 before
tape 3 and access file 987 directly, or at least within a 2gb range.

All other platforms already do this, but NDMP as a protocol didn't
support this until v3, but Veritas is the last major backup software
vendor to support it.  NDMP v3 is a few years old now, v4 is in
committee, and v5 is in the lab.

~JK

Kennedy,