Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Long Restore times

2003-01-10 15:55:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Long Restore times
From: jmcdon23 AT csc.com DOT au (James Mcdonald)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:55:02 +1000
Hi

There is the impact of LAN traffic - it can be substantial.

Are the disks RAID5  and either software RAIDED (not on an external  disk
subsystem where there is a RAID controller ) or on an old RAID Subsystem.
- if that the case you are encountering RAID5 "write penalty" that will
slow done restores -  restore times 3x backups may be too long for the
impact of RAID5 unless the system  is old.

A quick test is to ftp a large file/s from client to backup server and send
it back again

Regards
Jim McDonald

This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and
may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose
other than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
in it. In this case, please let me know by return email, delete the message
permanently from your system and destroy any copies.

Quarantine <Quarantine AT GSCCCA DOT ORG>@mailman.eng.auburn.edu on 11/01/2003
12:57:08 AM

Sent by:    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu