Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Running a backup while vault is running on a 2 drive setup

2003-01-10 09:45:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Running a backup while vault is running on a 2 drive setup
From: JLaurie AT csu DOT org (JLaurie AT csu DOT org)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:45:52 -0700
--=_alternative 0051088387256CAA_=

David,

I still use NBU 3.4 and bpvault extension 3.4 but I'm sure that NBU 4.5
with the vault option works the same way.
Your DB backup will "sneak in" if it's queued and your vault job swaps
tapes to duplicate another image, but it won't pause the vault job to
allow a backup.
You ought to get a 3rd drive if your DB is at such risk.

Jim

>Netbackup/Vault 4.5 running on 5.6 Solaris server with STK silo with 2
9840
>tape drives.

>  I have vault 4.5 running which takes up both my drives when vault is
>running.  I have an important Database backup that must be performed to
>backup the arch files.  If this backup doesn't get done the DB can't
write
>its arch files and the DB will go down.  This arch backup is started from
>the client whenever the arch directory hits a certain threshold so the
time
>this backup starts in not set at a given time; it could be several times
>day at any given hour.
>   I only have 2 drives and when vault is running 1 drive is reading and
the
>other drive is writing.
>
>  Question
>      With the set up described above, if my vault backup is running and
>will take a couple of hours, but I have this DB arch backup that suddenly
>wants to try to run, will it interrupt vault when its busy switching
between
>"read" tapes?  If no, how can I have an important backup run while vault
is
>running and I only have 2 drives?  Does vault use priorities like backups
>do?  What can I do?
>
>Thank You
>David

--=_alternative 0051088387256CAA_=

3.4 but I'm sure that NBU 4.5 with the vault option works the same way.</font>
it's queued and your vault job swaps tapes to duplicate another image, but it
won't pause the vault job to allow a backup.</font>
at such risk.</font>
Solaris server with STK silo with 2 9840<br>
&gt;tape drives.<br>
&gt; &nbsp;I have vault 4.5 running which takes up both my drives when vault
is<br>
&gt;running. &nbsp;I have an important Database backup that must be performed
to<br>
&gt;backup the arch files. &nbsp;If this backup doesn't get done the DB can't
write<br>
&gt;its arch files and the DB will go down. &nbsp;This arch backup is started
from<br>
&gt;the client whenever the arch directory hits a certain threshold so the
time<br>
&gt;this backup starts in not set at a given time; it could be several times
a<br>
&gt;day at any given hour. &nbsp;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; I only have 2 drives and when vault is running 1 drive is reading
and the<br>
&gt;other drive is writing.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp;Question<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;With the set up described above, if my vault backup is
running and<br>
&gt;will take a couple of hours, but I have this DB arch backup that
suddenly<br>
&gt;wants to try to run, will it interrupt vault when its busy switching
between<br>
&gt;&quot;read&quot; tapes? &nbsp;If no, how can I have an important backup run
while vault is<br>
&gt;running and I only have 2 drives? &nbsp;Does vault use priorities like
backups<br>
&gt;do? &nbsp;What can I do?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Thank You<br>