Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Encryption

2003-01-09 14:42:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Encryption
From: bryer AT sfu DOT ca (Jeff Bryer)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:42:48 -0800
>If I remember correctly the NBU encryption is only for network
>transfers, not to tape.

The encryption is done on the client before sending the data across
the network.  It is stored on the tape encrypted.  The version in NBU 3.4
is only DES.  Don't know if 3DES is supported in 4.5 (we haven't upgraded
yet).

>I had asked this question here several months back and someone sent me a
>link to a company who was working on a product that would sit inline on
>a fiber channel network and do data encryption to the destination.  It
>didn't matter if the destination was tape, disk, or optical disk.  At
>the time the product was beta but I would imagine a GA release has
>happened since.  Maybe that person would be kind enough to post the link
>again?

I saw a product at LISA last year that looked quite interesting.
http://www.neoscale.com/English/Products/CryptoStor_Tape.html
There is an FC version too.

--
Jeff Bryer                              bryer AT sfu DOT ca
Systems Administrator                   (604) 291-4935