Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Way way off topic.

2003-01-07 15:46:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Way way off topic.
From: veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us (veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:46:59 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Patrick Whelan wrote:

> I have been sitting here for months reading these emails religiously, which
> is easy when you?re unemployed, and biting my tongue. But I finally can not
> take it any longer. How do some, notice I said some not most, of these
> people get hired in the first place. They don?t seem to be able to read a
> manual. They ask some of the most basic questions. Obviously they have never
> taken a class or even looked at the index of any of the manuals. All of the
> manuals are either online or on CD, there should be no reason not to look
> there first.

Because many of the people who ask those questions do a lot more than
NetBackup for a living.  When I got NBU dropped in my lap I did read
through the manuals and found them less than helpful for a newbie.  That
was 3.2 and even now 4.5's manuals aren't a heck of a lot better, at least
in that respect.  We all started off knowing nothing about Veritas (and
everything else for that matter) and those of us who answer the simple
questions just never lost sight of that fact.

Good luck in the job search - I know how tough it is.

-Jason

-----
Jason K. Schechner  -   check out www.cauce.org and help ban spam-mail.
=The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has bounds.=
---There is no TRUTH.  There is no REALITY.  There is no CONSISTENCY.---
   ---There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong.---