Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Max number of mounts for an LTO tape?

2002-12-29 01:09:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Max number of mounts for an LTO tape?
From: WTSmith AT Maine DOT edu (Wayne Smith)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 01:09:49 -0500
Jonas Blåberg wrote, in part, about a month ago:
 > About how high should the max number of mounts be configured for LTO
 >  tapes? Of course there is no rule saying tapes are destroyed after
 > exactly X mounts/unmounts, but I want to know someone else's opinion
 >  regarding this.

If LTO has a very long life (and I believe it does), then throwing out a
tape that is not failing and replacing it with a new, inexperienced tape
(better chance virgin tape is somehow defective?) may be more risky at
any number of mounts or time in use.

One vendor says "Ultrium media cartridge tested for 1,000,000 tape passes."

Another "Ultrium 400 GB media is certified for 1 million passes or 100
full back ups and has a 30 year archival storage life."

Why throw out a perfectly good tape because you used to use a tape
format that was crap?  Just one opinion.  cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith -- WTSmith AT Maine DOT edu -- Systems Software Analyst
University of Maine System (UNET)