Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Ethernet Bottleneck - need design suggestions

2002-12-18 17:25:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Ethernet Bottleneck - need design suggestions
From: jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com (Jon Bousselot)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:25:13 -0800
Our backup system is two media servers with two gigabit NIC's in each
one.  The mix of systems in our environment has left us with some hosts
on 100Mbps only, and some with the ability to have two cards, the other
one being gig.  We created a subnet for the gig interface, and for those
hosts that can support two interfaces, I back them up by calling them by
their gigabit interface DNS name.  99% of the backup traffic then goes
over this port.  I can get three tape drives on each server running at
full speed, but can't seem to get four.

Sun trunking works in theory, but has not proven to be 2Gbps of total
throughput.  My experience has shown me that a trunked interface on a
system means it is possible for two hosts to achieve full gigabit speeds
to and from this server, but not for one host to achieve the bandwidth
of both interfaces.  Our foundry switch does not support the round
robin, and I'm told this is the protocol necessary to get up to the
2Gbps limit.  In my opinion, it's not worth the $900 plus yearly support
fees.

The suggestion for adding another media server is a good way to balance
the load.  SSO is another good alternative.  It costs more.

If 10 Gbps ethernet ever becomes available, then most of this problem
will disappear.  Then we'll have bottlenecks elsewhere.

-Jon