Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Ethernet Bottleneck - need design suggestions

2002-12-18 02:46:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Ethernet Bottleneck - need design suggestions
From: turk182 AT chipware DOT net (Chip Paswater)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:46:29 -0800
> You could always use an ethernet port for each server like just having a
> "cross-over" cable connectiong each other server to your media server. It's
> not easy to get it to work right, but it's basicly having a lan for backups
> to each server.

This idea is interesting, but not scalable.  If I direct attach ethernet
cards to my backup server, I'll run out of I/O slots too quickly.
Don't think it would work for me.

> The more "right" way could be to use SSO having a FC connection from each
> server to your SAN switches going to your tape drives.
> That should solve the performance problem but it comes at a price.

This is more likely, considering most of the hosts I want to backup are
also SAN attached.  I'm unfamiliar with SSO (which I assume is
Shared Storage Option).  Where can I find more information on it's
functionality?

> What Extreme switch and  (if any) SAN switches are your using?

Our data center core uses Extreme Black Diamond ethernet switches.  My
SAN switches comprise of Brocade Silkworm 2800's (1gb, of course).

HBA's are all emulex lp8000 and lp9000's of various bus types.

We also have an EMC symmetrix, where most of the data to be backed up sits.

I guess I'm basically looking for advice on how people would backup an
envirnment such as this.  I'm a SAN/Unix geek.  Backup design is a new
concept for me.