Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO Max Mounts (and what setting for cleaning)

2002-12-05 17:01:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO Max Mounts (and what setting for cleaning)
From: jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com (Jon Bousselot)
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 14:01:51 -0800
  I have two AIT-2 tapes which have been mounted 467 times, and one LTO
tapes which is at 272.  The remainder of the LTO's are below 100 mounts,
with most below 30 mounts.  Amazingly, the AIT-2 tapes have survived a
drywall construction project in the datacenter, and four questionable
tape drives.  These used to be the catalog when we were only AIT, and
now they don't do anything.  Thankfully, I've never had to read them for
a media server recovery, and when I inspect the logs, I do not see media
errors on these tapes.  In my battle with bad media (caused by drywall
dust) I have seen tapes write with zero errors, and then fail completely
on the read.  I've also seen these same tapes fail on the first attempt,
but succeed with some errors on the second attempt.  I conviced
management that we cannot trust ANY data written on the AIT-2's, so now
I have a small qualstar library and about 700 tapes to play with.  Our
ADIC 10K has been an excellent performer.

 I'm curious to know if anyone has seen a pattern of LTO failures
attributed to a high mount number.
-Jon