Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Possible firmware issue

2002-11-28 21:48:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Possible firmware issue
From: terry.newnham AT showads.com DOT au (Terry Newnham)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:48:19 +1100
Hi

Had a nasty shock yesterday. I was adding some raid 5 boxes to our
Solaris 6 server. Naturally I had to do a "boot -r" to pick them up.
Although that part of the excercise was okay, the Netbackup daemons
would not start.

Checking of the logs revealed that Netbackup could not see one of the
optical drives. I had to remove that drive fron the configuration before
I could even get the device daemons to start. After that functionality
was okay, but I'm down a drive.

More than a month ago a service engineer came in and replace the same
drive. That drive had since worked okay, but the engineer upgraded the
firmware at the time. Though that upgrade didn't seem to affect things
then, the boot -r seems to have made it an issue. The device is not even
appearing at the UNIX level. The opticals are configured as hard drives.
But this drive not longer even appears under "format".

Getting the engineer back in to downgrade the firmware will be easy
enough, but I will need to reconfigure the drive as a hard disk.

Does all of this sound familiar to anybody. I'm only assuming that the
firmware caused all this trouble. Won't know until I've changed it back.

Terry