Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS

2002-11-25 10:27:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
From: Bruno.Bossier AT comparex DOT be (Bruno.Bossier AT comparex DOT be)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:27:58 +0100
Environment : Netbackup 4.5 MP2 on Windows/

I see the following line in the bpbkar logfile :

INF - bpbkar waited 4246 times for empty buffer, delayed 8155 times

And for the same backup, I see the following line in the bptm logfile :

write_data: waited for full buffer 303145 times, delayed 1419206 times

This means to me that the bptm process which copies the data from the
buffers in shared memory to tape is waiting for these buffers to be filled
by the bpbkar process which copies the data from disk into these buffers.
It's clear that there is a performance issue and therefore I would like to
increase the number of buffers. The current value is 16. Should I double
the size or should I start by adding only a few. I suppose it all depends
on how much memory there is in the server.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Bruno