Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Compression "driver" for unix filesystem?

2002-11-25 09:11:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Compression "driver" for unix filesystem?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:11:43 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2948C.94A85FB0

We're writing some critical backups to a disk storage unit; later we
duplicate them to tape and expire the disk copy.

I've turned on client-side compression to try to save disk space.  However,
I've discovered that the v3.4 compression agent stinks.  The image that
arrives at the disk is still highly compressable.   gzip can get another 2:1
or better compression on the already compressed image.

So - what I want is a "compression device" driver for a filesystem - like
NT's drivespace thing.  Yeah, I know it will cost CPU but the disk space is
more critical at times - like now, for example, when my library is out of
service.  So, I want to mount a /dev/dsk/diskname_c like the /dev/rmt/0c to
turn on compression or maybe have it as a mount option.

Anybody know of anything like this?

-M

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2948C.94A85FB0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Compression &quot;driver&quot; for unix filesystem?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We're writing some critical backups to a disk storage =
unit; later we duplicate them to tape and expire the disk copy.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've turned on client-side compression to try to save =
disk space.&nbsp; However, I've discovered that the v3.4 compression =
agent stinks.&nbsp; The image that arrives at the disk is still highly =
compressable.&nbsp;&nbsp; gzip can get another 2:1 or better =
compression on the already compressed image.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So - what I want is a &quot;compression device&quot; =
driver for a filesystem - like NT's drivespace thing.&nbsp; Yeah, I =
know it will cost CPU but the disk space is more critical at times - =
like now, for example, when my library is out of service.&nbsp; So, I =
want to mount a /dev/dsk/diskname_c like the /dev/rmt/0c to turn on =
compression or maybe have it as a mount option.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Anybody know of anything like this?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-M</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>