Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] slow backups

2002-11-07 09:50:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] slow backups
From: GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com (Bob Grabbe)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 09:50:56 -0500
You could set the virus scanning to be on inbound files only, this
should keep the virus scanning from affecting the backup speeds. If you
have virus protection on the desktop also, you should still be covered.

Robert Grabbe
Dominos Pizza LLC
734-930-3703
grabbeb AT dominos DOT com

>>> Quarantine <Quarantine AT GSCCCA DOT ORG> 11/7/02 8:23:23 AM >>>
Good suggestions.  For clarification, though, the requester is seeing
speeds
drop to 500 kb/sec and saying the native speed is 11 mb/s.

With respect to suggestion 3, does anybody worry about turning off
virus
protection during backups?  Among other things, I have about 50
million
files with an average size of 50K on various RAID 5 LUNs.  I see
respectable
backup times, but would like to speed them up.  I've considered
stopping
virus protection, but I just can't bring myself to do it.  Comments?

Thanks,
Matt