Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 slowing down during backups

2002-11-05 08:19:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 slowing down during backups
From: browndav AT bronsonhg DOT org (David Brown)
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 08:19:01 -0500
We started having a problem here that I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot.
I have a client running Novell that holds all the customers home directories.
It does a full backup every night to a Win2000 NB 4.5 server and a Win2000
media server.

It appears to start out just fine, running at anywhere from 3-4,000kbs speeds.
However, as soon as the first tape is filled and it goes to grab a seconds
tape, it will drop down to about 5-600kbs the remainder of the session.

It is only backing up about 75GB on this server so I wouldn't think that it
should take to long, but it has been running for well over 24 hours sometimes.
Our setup is a 9714 library with 6 DLT7000 drives.

Has anyone any insight as to why this would start happening less than halfway
through the backup?  It appears to only really affect this server and I have
tried swapping NICs, routing the backup through the media server and of course
always having plenty of available media.

Not getting much help with our 800# support so thought I'd try here as well.

Thanks,
Dave

David Brown
McKesson Information Solutions